This post is also available in: BM
On December 31, 2019, China reported to the World Health Organization(WHO) that there were several cases of respiratory infections in Wuhan city, however the source of the virus is unknown. Experts from around the world have immediately taken actions to search for the truth of the virus. The World Health Organization(WHO) has named it as “Coronavirus Disease 2019” (COVID-19), also known as Wuhan pneumonia.
COVID-19 in China is caused by a novel coronavirus, experts suspect the virus originated from wild animals. This virus is similar to Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome(SARS), it can spread the virus through respiratory droplets such as coughing and sneezing, contact and contamination. Many people infected by COVID-19 develop several symptoms such as cough, fever, shortness of breath and difficulty in breathing. Severe cases can lead to pneumonia, kidney failure and death.
The infection prevention and control strategies
Due to the fact that there is no vaccine or cure for the virus, we must be sanitary and be prepared to prevent the disease. For the novel coronavirus, the World Health Organization advises that the public should do the following as prevention:
- Wash your hands frequently with an alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
- When coughing and sneezing, cover your mouth and nose with tissue, discard tissue immediately into a closed bin and clean your hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
- Maintain at least 1 meter distance between yourself and other people, particularly those who are coughing, sneezing and have a fever.
- Tell your health care provider if you have traveled in an area in China where COVID-19has been reported, or if you have been in close contact with someone with who has traveled from China and his respiratory symptoms.
- Strictly avoid any contact with other animals in the market. Avoid contact with potentially contaminated animal waste or fluid on the soil or structures of shops and market facilities .
- Avoid consumption of raw or undercooked animal products. Handle raw meat, milk or animal organs with care, to avoid cross-contamination with uncooked foods, as per good food safety practices.
Besides, we should take in enough nutrients in order to strengthen our immune system. Having a good lifestyle, eating habits and exercise regularly are related to a healthy body. A strong immune system can reduce the risk of bacterial and viral infections, a poor immune system and a sickly person who seems to be more susceptible to infection than a healthy person. A balanced diet comprises carbohydrates, protein, fat, vitamins, minerals, fiber and water that may help our immune system. Getting enough vegetables, fruits, water, whole grains and good quality of protein and fat is essential for a healthy body.
Also, probiotics help with our immunity, we can consume prebiotics in order to cultivate probiotics which are able to boost our body immune system. Nevertheless, ginger is a type of good food that has powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, these properties help to boost our overall immunity as well. Children are more susceptible to diseases and viruses if their immune system is weak, they can take high antioxidants food and prebiotics in order to boost up their immune system, it is a good way to boost up immunity of the whole family.
Since there is no vaccine or drugs that can cure COVID-19, we should improve our immunity in many ways. With a good immune system, it helps us to fight against invaders, diseases, bacteria and viruses!